Friday, November 14, 2008

Following-Up

Some people think that all they need to do is apply for a job and wait for the call. In most cases this is not true, there are so many applicants each day that employers hardly have any time to sift through each application. This is the reason why a cover letter is so important because if you don't catch the employer's eye on the first impression you miss out. Basically, the employer or hiring manager will toss out your application. Other important factors are spelling, alignment and grammar because again you are trying to sell yourself through the computer. The process does not stop there, after you have applied it is important write a follow-up email.

1. How soon is too soon to follow-up?
Do not follow up to soon because if you do you will look desperate. Less than a week is usually to soon.

2. When is the best time to follow-up?
The best time to follow-up is usually after a week, sometimes a week might even be too soon because the company may have many applicants and need time to contact people for interviews. I would say to follow-up 1 week to 2 weeks, no more than 2 1/2 weeks.

3. How do I write a follow-up e-mail?
Dear (Hiring manager),

I am writing to follow-up on the status of my application and also the status of the job position as (position here). Please let me know if you require further information, thank you and have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,
(Your name here)

These follow-up e-mails usually work and you will get a reply as to whether you got an interview, need additional information or the position has been filled.

Good luck!

On another note: I would love to hear success stories if you've been reading my blog and following the tips:) and it worked for you. Feel free to just drop me a comment or e-mail also let me know if you have any questions:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I couldn’t make it and this post has been useful.
Placement Papers